Saint Anthony of Padua Catholic School started with a few dedicated Dominican nuns from Adrian, Michigan, and the desire to teach children Catholic principles in addition to math and English. Four nuns designated a duplex in Casa Grande, Arizona, as St. Anthony's Convent, and within two years, they converted a garage behind the convent into a classroom and opened a kindergarten. There were 40 students enrolled in the program in the late 1940's. Father Sylvio J. Ross, Pastor of St. Anthony's Church, blessed and broke ground for a new school building on Second Street in January 1950. Our school began with 135 students in four grades. A grade was added each year and by September 1954, all eight grades of elementary school were represented. Sister Georgina Marie Bowers, one of the first nuns that came to Arizona with only a vision and God's guidance, was the first principal of the school. Sister Georgina was the guest of honor at the Golden Anniversary Tea on November 20, 2000, when St. Anthony of Padua Catholic School celebrated fifty years of educating the minds and spirits of Casa Grande children.